Pinterest

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Quita Cake

I love it when someone shares his/her old recipes with me. Especially recipes that have been enjoyed  for years, decades, by their families.

This is one such recipe. It was given to me by Mrs. Judith Bingham. She was a fellow teacher at the school I had the privilege to teach at the longest. I am pasting it in just as she wrote it for me (with her personal notes!) I am not exactly sure of the origin of the name, but it's a yummy cake for sure!


Quita Cake 


Ingredients:

2c. sugar
½c. shortening (I use butter)
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
2 c. flour
3 t. cocoa
1t. soda
½ t.salt
½c. buttermilk
1c. of hot strong coffee (leftover heated in the microwave will do)

Combineall the dry ingredients except soda.  Mixthe soda in the buttermilk.  Add theshortening, vanilla, and 2 beaten eggs to the dry ingredients.  Beat the cake until smooth.  Add the buttermilk-soda mixture, beat.  Add the hot coffee and beat the batter untilsmooth.  You can slightly melt the butterif you want.  I don’t but  you can and it beats quicker. 

Pourinto a 9x13 cake pan that has been sprayed with Pam or greased with oliveoil.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30minutes or until done when tested.

Whenyou remove the cake from the oven, pour the sauce over it immediately.  While the cake is baking make the sauce.  I have a 6 cup pyrex measuring cup and I makethe sauce in it and microwave it.

Sauceingredients:

1cup of sugar
1/4cup of cocoa
1/2cup of butter
1/3cup of milk (I use half and half)

Mixthis together and microwave it on high for about 5 to 6 minutes, stopping andstirring about 3 minutes into cooking. It will be on the thin side and if you want it thicker, microwave it alittle longer. You can cook it on the stove in a heavy sauce pan. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring it to a boil and stir occasionally until thickened. 



I experimented when I made this for my bible study group today. I sprinkled on some toasted coconut, pecans and almonds before adding the sauce. It was very yummy.
Quita Cake

*I used dutch-process cocoa, so my cake is much darker than the one that Mrs. Bingham brought to work to share with us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment