Pinterest

Monday, March 23, 2015

Tales of a Frustrated Bilingual Baker

Tonight, I am flustered and frustrated over a seemingly easy recipe. 

Nutella Tart

A.K.A.

Tarte tiède au chocolat et au Nutella


I am the proud owner of two lovely choco-rrific books: Larousse du Chocolat and Chocolate Desserts by Pierre Herme by Dorie Greenspan. These books have lots of overlapping recipes... or so it seems.

My husband says my frustration is a little over the top, but I'm annoyed. 
The ingredient ratios are different. Not only that the "translation" of amounts is off. 

Example: according to Greenspan 3 1/2 ounces of butter = 7 tablespoons = 200 grams. I'm not buying it! A regular stick of butter is 8 TBS = 4 oz = approx. 113 g. 

la recette de Larousse du Chocolat
250 g de pâte sucrée (Sweet pastry dough)
150 g de Nutella 
150 g de chocolat à 55% de cacao (bittersweet chocolat)
150 g de beurre (butter)
1 œuf (egg)
2 jaunes d’œufs (egg yolks)
20 g de sucre en poudre (granulated sugar)
80 g noisette (hazelnuts)


The recipe of Chocolate Desserts
1 baked 8 3/4 in (22 cm) tart shell made from Sweet Tart dough
2/3 c. (200g) Nutella
4 3/4 oz (140 g.) bittersweet chocolate
7 TBSP (3.5 oz; 200 g.) unsalted butter
1 large egg
3 egg yolks
2 TBSP sugar
1 c (140 g.) hazelnuts

Oh but why should the differences stop there? They both say to melt the butter and chocolate separately. However, one asks you to whisk the sugar into the egg and then fold in the chocolate, then the butter. The other asks that you fold everything into the chocolate. YIKES! 

This is too much after a day of teaching little ones! 
I hope my tart comes out of the oven okay. Wish me luck! I mean I was the one brazen enough to make this for the first time for guests. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment