Pinterest

Sunday, March 22, 2015

Easy One Bowl Pizza Crust

For a long time I couldn't remember or find the original source of this recipe. I had just jotted it down and tweaked it here and there each time I made it. I found the original today. It's from Fleischmann's® Yeast.  I had it stashed in my "recipe box" on AllRecipes. I use weigh measurements because to me it's easier than digging out all sorts of measuring cups and spoons. I just pull out my bowl, put it on the scale, and start dumping ingredients in.

Here in my version:

Easy Pizza Crust

Makes 1 pizza crust: 15x10 in., 9x13 in., 14 in. thin, 12 in. thick or two 9 in. deep dish

310 g. (about 2.5 cups) All-Purpose flour
8 g. (about 2 1/4 tsp.) instant yeast
5 g. (about 1 tsp.) kosher salt
pinch of brown sugar
220 g. (about 1 c.) water at 110°F 
26 g. (about 2 tbsp.) olive or vegetable oil
*Semolina flour + bread flour for the bench

The instructions are simple. Stir the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Make a well and add in the oil and water. Then I use my wooden spoon. to stir until a dough forms. I flour my hands and knead in the bowl until it forms a smooth ball.** Then, cover will plastic wrap and let it hang out until double, about 30-45 min. Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425°F.

Next, I sprinkle a 50/50 mixture of semolina and bread flour on my bench and stretch it out by hand to the size and shape I want. Some times, I get out the rolling pin. Some times, not! Sprinkle semolina or cornmeal on your pizza stone or pan. 

Top crust as desired and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Note the rustic look of the edge. I'm still working on technique!


*The original calls for oil & cornmeal on the pan, but I find that like the taste and texture of fine semolina better. I rarely remember to oil the pan, and I'm not sure it needs it. Really, it depends on what you have. I wouldn't buy semolina just for this recipe, but if I have some I use it.

**I've been lazy before and not kneaded it as much. This will give you a pillowy, soft dough. S

No comments:

Post a Comment