Pinterest

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Alligator Étouffée

I had a package of gator in my freezer that I needed to use up: 

So... I searched the internet and settled on making Gator Étouffée. I got the original recipe from here. The main changes I made were using a bit of Chachere's and cutting back on the celery because I don't care for it. Also, I added a bay leaf, and cut the butter in half. The original calls for TWO STICKS of butter. I'm sure it's yummy, but it was great without it. In fact, I may cut the butter back more if I were to make it again.   

Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
2 medium onions, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped (optional)

1 (10 oz) Rotel Brand tomatoes
1 bay leaf
Chachere's or Salt, black pepper, and cayenne to taste
1 lb alligator meat, cut in thin strips

1/2 cup green onions, sliced
1/4 cup parsley, fresh (or 2 tbsp. dried)

Directions:

In a large pot, sauté onions, garlic, celery  and bell pepper in the butter until soft.


Add the Rotel and bay leaf simmer for 20 minutes, covered.
Add the alligator meat and cook over a low heat until tender for about one hour. If it thickens too much while cooking, add chicken stock or water. 

Add the green onions and parsley and cook 10 minutes.
Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment