Pinterest

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Banana Nut Waffles


I love, love, love my new waffle maker. The Presto FlipSide Belgian Waffle Maker. It was less than $40 and it's really turned out to be a great little machine. If you are making regular waffles, it cleans up pretty easily. 



The only time I've had trouble cleaning it, was when I got the hair brained idea to make Garlic Parmesan Waffles. (Basically take a can of croissant dough. Slather on some room temp butter, sprinkle in parm, garlic and Italian seasoning. Fold up and cut into pieces that fit in waffle maker. The  I don't know if I'll ever make those again... IT WAS A ROYAL PAIN TO CLEAN UP!)


If you are after a plain easy, from scratch waffle recipe, I would recommend the Waffle I recipe on Allrecipes.com for American waffles. Or, if it's a European style (like you would get in France or Belgium) the Belgian waffle recipe. I think it's my favorite so far! It is worth the extra waiting time.


Today, I had some very ripe bananas sitting on the counter, so I made banana nut waffles.


Banana Nut Waffles

You will need: 
2 c. all-purpose flour (or 1 1/2 c. APF + 1/2 c. whole wheat flour)
2 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. kosher salt (or 1/4 tsp. fine table salt)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
3 ripe banana, crushed
1 c. milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 c. canola oil or melted butter
1 tbsp. vanilla
1 tsp. banana flavoring (optional)
2 tbsp. dark rum or banana liqueur (optional)
1/2 c. chopped nuts (I used almonds... use what you like, or leave it out)



Whisk together dry ingredients. Make a well in the center and pour in wet ingredients. Stir together just until incorporated. You can stir the nuts in now, but I prefer to add to the waffle maker. This way if you have a family member who doesn't like nuts, they can have a nut free one! Let batter sit for 10 min.


Scoop an appropriate amount into your waffle maker. Mine held a heaping 1/2 cup. Sprinkle on the nuts if you didn't mix them in.

Close waffle maker and wait about 3-4 min. or until all the steam has dissipated. Yield: 5 large waffles


No comments:

Post a Comment