Pinterest

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Raw? Bars...




Originally, I started to make the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Raw Bars from Beard + Bonnet. Except, #1) I can't seem to follow directions, and #2) Of course, I adapted the recipe to what I like and what I had on hand. 

I put a question mark by "raw?" because I don't know if they were named raw bars because they are following a raw diet or if it is because they are not cooked. Mine are probably not going to fit anybody's diet. But they turned out pretty yummy.


 Raw??? Bars
1 cup dates, chopped
1 cup natural almonds
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract

OK, the original recipe told me to mix the nuts and dates until and sticky dough has formed.... BUT... I just wasn't reading carefully and I threw all these ingredients in the food processor and whirled away. Make a chocolaty dough. I tasted it. It needed something. It was really begging me to add some Frangelico or Amaretto. However, since I'd like to enjoy my "raw" bars at work, I decided to add in:

1 tsp. almond extract
100 g. (3.5 oz) Marzipan 

and pulsed just until it was incorporated. Then I patted the dough out into a rectangular prism on some wax paper (parchment paper would work, too) in my brownie pan. Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes or so. Then, using a pizza wheel, I sliced into smaller bars. 

Sticky Goody Yumminess!
The original recipe says that you can roll the dough into balls if your prefer. Raw balls... no comment.....




I wrapped each bar in a small piece of wax paper and then placed them all in a tightly sealed container. Back into the fridge.  


Beard + Bonnet says they last a few weeks in the fridge or a few months in the freezer.  With my version, all I taste is marzipan  so I highly doubt they will last that long.  

Another recipe I tried just because it was interesting. Turned out not so bad! What's not to like about almond, dates, and chocolate? 

 Raw??? Bars
1 cup dates, chopped
1 cup natural almonds
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
100 g. (3.5 oz) Marzipan 

Pulse in food processor until it is incorporated into a dough. Then,pat the dough out into a wax paper (or parchment paper) covered 9x9 pan.Refrigerate until firm, about 10 minutes or so. Then, slice into smaller bars.Wrap in wax paper, place in an air tight container. Store in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment